Embrace festivity amidst load shedding with a diverse braai menu extravaganza!
Load shedding won’t dim your festive spirit with these diverse and delicious braai recipes. From appetisers to desserts, mix and match for the ultimate festive menu this year.
Appetisers: A prelude to festive feasting
- Mushroom braai pizza: Portabello mushrooms topped with tomato, cheese, and your favourite toppings – a hand-held delight for your guests!
- Lamb mixed grill: Indulge in skilpadjies, skaapstertjies and moskonfyt-basted lamb saddle chops, served with grilled grapes stuffed with camembert cheese.
- South African charcuterie board: Featuring biltong, droewors, nuts, boerenkaas and more. Or try these bacon, blue cheese, and fig chilli poppers for a tantalising surprise.
- Assorted dips and crudité: From beetroot dip with seed crackers to avocado hummus and a plant-based snack platter with maple-mustard dip, explore a variety of flavourful dips.
- Pork banger kofta kebabs: these cheat kofta kebabs use pork bangers innovatively, perfect for the braai.
Starters: Ignite the appetite
- Three-cheese mushroom pie: This braaied cheesy delight is the perfect starter to pop on the braai.
- Spanakopita braai pie: Indulge in a healthy dose of greens with a delicious buttery puff twist.
- Avo’prese: A no-cook salad variation of a classic Caprese salad with the addition of avocado; ideal for a quick serve with crispy bread.
- Mexican-style nectarine salad: Seasonal fruit combined in a feast-for-the-eyes salad with a light and creamy plant-based dressing.
Main spread: From braai brilliance to seafood sensations
- Braaied leg of lamb: Served with zingy chimichurri sauce, this is a sensational swap for the classic roast.
- Char-grilled ribeye steak: A Mzansi-flavoured delight served with fresh amasi dressing.
- Peri-peri chicken pieces: Made deliciously festive with an easy raisin relish, this is perfect for load-shedding moments!
- Pork, pineapple and pepper kebabs: these sweet and sour pork inspired kebabs are guaranteed to be hit!
- Gammon-and-pineapple sweet chilli kebabs: Gammon is a must, even with load shedding!
- Festive prawns on the braai: A must-try recipe for prawn enthusiasts.
- Smoked paprika-garlic butter snoek: A delightful twist on the classic braaied South African snoek.
- Whole braaied yellowtail with apricot glaze: An embodiment of festive flair and wonderful flavours.
- Potjie-style mussels: Quick and tasty, choose from creamy green curry or classic white wine and garlic.
- Cheesy braai pie: A plant-based twist that won’t leave your vegetarian or vegan guests disappointed.
- Miso-flavoured braaied butternut: An irresistible butternut variation seasoned to perfection with umami-rich miso.
- Flame-charred aubergines: Filled with goat’s milk cheese and adorned with pomegranate pops for that extra flair.
- Chakalaka-cheddar cheese braaibroodjie: A classic cheesy favourite, elevated with a flavourful chakalaka twist.
- Warm potato salad: Prep ahead for easy entertaining or indulge in a biltong braaied potato salad.
- Corn and tomato salad: Add flavour by braaiing the corn before assembling this refreshing salad.
- Grilled peach and Parma ham salad: peach, Parma ham, pomegranate, pumpkin seeds and Parmesan shavings – all the makings of a perfect festive salad!
- Sorghum rainbow salad: Eye-catching, tasty and convenient, the perfect prep-ahead hosting hack for festive salad bliss!
- Bacon beer bread: Braai this quick DIY beer bread for a delectable side option. Opt for a meat-free version by skipping the bacon.
Dessert: Keeping the fire alive
- Dark chocolate and banana braaibroodjies: A South African favourite for a sweet ending!
- Chocolate braai pie: Served with ice cream, because festive indulgence knows no bounds.
- Braai doughnut duo: Choose between doughnut s’mores or doughnuts with lemon curd, mascarpone, and mixed berries for a delightful braaied twist on classic treats!