The pastry is golden and smells like butter. You cut into the crust: it bends and then cracks into shards, while the steam escapes. The filling is rich, saucy and glossy as you dig in with your fork, catching the crispy flakes of pastry in the gravy. It’s everyone’s favourite meal-in-one : the pie!
Here are 14 of our favourite, comforting pie recipes for vegetarians, meat lovers and the budget conscious:
2. Red wine and steak is a classic combination – now in pastry!
6. Beef bourguignon pies are a delicious meal when the weather outside is chilly!
7. Classic Chicken and mushroom phyllo pie is the recipe you need to bookmark.
8. Close your eyes and imagine how delicious this Spanish chicken pie with chorizo and sweet peppers could taste:
9. Potato and cheese pies make an excellent side at Sunday lunch, and leftovers are lekker for your lunchbox.
10. Pork, mushroom and butternut pie is a recipe that will the family will love.
11. This vegetarian tart will keep even the meat eaters happy: Brie, fennel and tomato tarts