We're always on about comfort food here at Food24. Honestly, without it - I don't think we'd get through Winter. Give us anything piping hot that's loaded with bacon and cheese and maybe doused in a rich, creamy sauce. Heaven!
The only problem lies in the fact that come Spring, our jeans cease to fit. And let me assure you, it ain't a pretty sight. They are called muffin tops for a reason! I was at a media lunch the other day when one of my fellow journalists palmed off the bread offering. His proclamation was, "Summer bodies are made in Winter". I hate to admit it but I think he had a point.
So, without further adieu- I bring you 10 Winter-warmer recipes that enable you to happily and confidently slip into that hip-hugging LBD when the weather turns.
1. Chinese beef shortrib stirfry - A bit of Asian spice and zing work wonders for the metabolism.
2. Curried spinach, fennel and coriander soup - this is a tummy-warming winner.
3. Gluten-free butternut lasagne - lose the pasta and use veggies instead.
4. Catalan tomato fish stew - a hearty, wholesome stew with a light tomato base.
5. Bangers and sweet potato mash - sweet potatoes are low GI and so tasty.
6. Beef and mushroom cauliflower "risotto" - this is a Banting favourite and one that everyone will love!
7. Tomato, spinach and coriander dahl - lentils are filled with fibre and great at lowering cholesterol.
8. Roasted butternut "pizza"- instead of dough, this recipe calls for a base of vegetables.
9. Sweet potato wedges - Serve these with a creamy dip or guacamole for maximum results!
10. Beef cottage pie - jazzed up with a creamy cauliflower mash topping.
- Tessa Purdon