Feeling a little of that new years bloaty tiredness?
The remedy? A pure and simple detox.
Try these tips for 3 days and see how
you feel. I’ll eat my apron if you don’t feel 10 times better.
1. Cut out the booze and junk food! You really can live without that glassie (or 3) in the evening during the week.
2. Cut down on coffee and Ceylon tea to 1 a day.
Drink my very easy-to-make ginger tea instead,
it is cleansing, boosts your metabolism and tastes great.
3. Morning munchies?
No more cheesy toasties or sugar-filled muffins and cereals. Try a big bowl of
lovely oats (not the instant kind) they take 2 minutes in the
microwave so no excuses.
Add some fresh apples, pears, strawberries or banana,
a swirl of honey and a dollop of low fat yoghurt – a breakfast of kings and low GI too.
4. Snacks – yay, great news, you must snack. Once mid-morning
and once mid-afternoon. Try things like a low fat yoghurt and some nuts, hummus
or ¼ avo on some lovely whole wheat bread or rye or some fresh fruit. You will
curb your appetite and keep your metabolism marching on.
5. One word – soup. There are so many fabulous soups that you can make sans the cream and
cheese - a much lighter and healthier choice.
Try this detox soup for
starters, especially designed for cleaning from the inside out and tasty too.
There’s this Low-GI chickpea soup with fresh coriander
and a beautiful brothy Vietnamese chicken and pineapple
soup. For super-high antioxidants and cleansers, try this tomato and lemongrass soup
or this gorgeous beetroot soup with cumin.
6. Go for raw. These delicious raw food recipes is a good way to clean out the system and loose a few kilos. Substantial summer salads like this beetroot and green bean salad and this
drooilicious avocado and grapefruit salad will seriously hit the healthy spot.
7. Leave out the red meat for a while, you can do it! There
are loads of fish and chicken dishes never mind all the veggie dishes that you
can make. Try some of these healthy budget dinners.
8. Have a bath with fresh rosemary, honey and olive oil. It's relaxing and a great way to cleanse your body and soul.
- Caro de Waal