|250 ml||pink champagne or sparkling wine|
|310 ml||self-raising flour|
|80 g||butter — unsalted, at room temperature|
|30 ml||vegetable oil|
|60 ml||champagne reduction|
|60 ml||Buttermilk — at room temperature|
|3||eggs — white|
|5 ml||vanilla — essence|
|60 g||butter — softened|
|125 g||icing sugar — sifted|
|15 ml||champagne reduction|
|pink food colouring|
Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 27x27cm square cake pan. Line the base with baking paper.
1. Reduction: Pour the champagne into a medium-heavy saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the champagne has reduced to half a cup. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
2. Cake: Using an electric hand mixer, mix the flour and sugar on low speed for about a minute until well combined and aerated. Add the butter and oil and mix on a slow speed until thoroughly combined. The consistency should resemble breadcrumbs.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the champagne reduction, buttermilk, egg whites and vanilla essence until well blended. Slowly add half the liquid mixture to the cake batter and mix on a low speed.
Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the remaining liquid mixture and beat until smooth.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a test skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
5. Buttercream: Whisk the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the reduction and colouring, and whisk until well incorporated. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle.
6. Using a 7x8cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 8 shapes from the cooled cake. Dice the strawberries. Pipe along the edge of 1 heart-shaped cake, leaving the middle empty.
Place a few diced strawberry pieces in the middle then place another shaped cake on top. Pipe more icing around the edge and add more strawberries.
Repeat with all the shaped cakes, ending with 4 layered mini cakes.