|mince and macaroni|
|3||onion — chopped|
|1||garlic — cloves|
|1||green pepper — diced|
|700 g||beef mince — lean|
|30 ml||fresh oregano — chopped|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|freshly ground black pepper|
|30 ml||tomato paste|
|125 ml||stock — vegetable or beef|
|80 ml||wine — red|
|500 g||macaroni — cooked according to the packet instructions|
|30 ml||flour — cake|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|500 ml||grated pecorino or mature|
|2||eggs — whisked|
|100 ml||mature cheddar cheese — grated|
|baby tomatoes — halves|
A simple family favourite.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease an ovenproof dish with nonstick spray.
2. MINCE AND MACARONI Heat the oil in a pan and stir-fry the onions, garlic and green pepper. Add the mince and cook until done but not browned.
3. Add the oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and wine. Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
4. Add the macaroni and mix. Set aside.
5 CHEESE SAUCE Heat the milk slightly and set aside. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir. Remove from the heat and stir in the heated milk. Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and whisked eggs.
6. Spoon half the mince and macaroni mixture into the prepared dish and pour over half the sauce. Repeat, ending with a layer of sauce.
7. TOPPING Scatter grated cheese on top and add the tomato halves. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.