|Superbake Instant Yeast
|water — lukewarm
|milk — lukewarm
|butter — melted
|oil — for frying
1. Place the yeast, water, milk and 15 ml (1 T) castor sugar in a large bowl and set in a warm place for 10 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
2. Add the butter, flour, eggs and remaining castor sugar to the yeast mixture and combine until a sticky dough forms. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingwrap and set in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubles in size. 4 Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Roll into a small tennis ball size portions and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Set aside for 15 minutes or until risen.
5. In a large pot half filled with oil over medium heat, fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes or until golden in colour. Drain on paper towel.
6. Caramel sauce Place the castor sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling the pot as the sugar melts. Let it cook until an amber colour without burning. Immediately add the butter and stir until completely melted. Slowly pour in the cream and stir until the mixture is well mixed. Set aside and stir in the salt. When completely cooled pour over the doughnuts.