I don’t have children but I can imagine that when the Winter school holidays roll around, it must sometimes be a challenge to keep them constantly entertained – or to teach them how to entertain themselves. I would probably pull my hair out after a few days of having them at home and so I can fully understand why some parents arrive at work with that happy, peaceful, meditative glow on the first day that school opens again.
I’m the last to judge - and know that bringing up children in this day and age is not an easy feat, but the great news is that there’s the internet! Where you can find SO many fun ways to keep the little tykes busy – especially in the kitchen!
Here are some of our ideas to give you some inspiration.
1. Rope them in to bake some healthy biscuits – like these oat and cranberry cookies. Delicious with some warm milk!
2. DIY pizza – kids love making their own pizzas, from kneading the dough to preparing their favourite toppings.
3. While we’re with the Italian theme, have you ever let kids make their own pasta? It’s just as fun and only requires a few simple ingredients.
4. Pancakes! Who doesn’t love a pancake doused with cinnamon sugar?!
5. For something a bit more healthy – let them have a go at threading fruit onto skewers. It’s a fun way to eat them and looks great.
6. Puffy cheesy toast is a real winner – let the kids do all the mixing and you can take care of the rest.
7. Spend some time whipping up a batch of chocolate coconut clusters. The little ones will have fun shaping the mixture.
8. Another sweet treat that only requires 4 ingredients is this Jelly Tot fudge.
9. If your children are a little older and can work the oven - then I suggest teaching them some culinary basics like: how to make the perfect scone or the perfect meringue with these easy steps.
10. And if you have a child who's an aspiring Junior Masterchef contestant, then let them have a whirl at THIS cake.
Happy holidays everyone!
- Tessa Purdon