|8-12||chicken — wings|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|4||garlic — cloves, crushed|
|15 ml||freshly ground black pepper|
|5 ml||each dried thyme, oregano and garlic powder|
|10 ml||cayenne pepper|
|2||garlic — cloves|
|1||red pepper — cubed|
|60 ml||white wine vinegar or rice vinegar|
|15 ml||cornflour — mixed with 30ml water|
|oil — for deep frying|
1. Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper. Arrange in a marinating dish.
2. Add the buttermilk and garlic to the chicken and mix well. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Mix the ingredients well. Remove the chicken wings from the buttermilk mixture one at a time, shake lightly and roll in the coating. Arrange on a plate and chill in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
4. Put the garlic, red pepper and chillies in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. Spoon into a small saucepan and add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Heat, while stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and grease with nonstick spray.
6. Heat oil for deep-frying in a saucepan. Cook the chicken wings in batches until golden and transfer to the wire rack. Continue cooking in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until done. Serve with the chilli sauce.