1. Split loaf lengthways, hollow out interior by removing soft crumbs, then brush insides of loaf generously with olive oil.
2. Line base and sides with sausages, allowing edges to overlap rim of loaf.
3. Add layers of salad as you like - start with potato salad, add cucumber slices and celery slices, cover with a layer of three bean salad and a few olives.
4. Fold in edges of sausage to cover salad and tuck in a spring onion or two.
5. Cover with top of loaf, wrap filled loaf in greaseproof paper and tie closed.
Chill for at least 2 to 3 hours to allow flavours to mingle and layers to settle.
6. To serve unwrap loaf and with a sharp, serrated knife, cut across into two or three thick slices.
A sharp herb dressing
can be served on the side.