1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add spring onions
and cook over a moderately low heat, stirring occasionally,
3. Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Cook for 2 minutes,
4. Stir in curry paste and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add coconut milk, brown sugar and salt. Simmer,
uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about
1 cup (approx 25 minutes).
6. Remove from heat and stir in fish sauce. Allow to cool
to room temperature, stirring occasionally (approx 30
minutes). Reserve 1/2 cup chilli sauce (for serving) in a
bowl and chill, covered.
7. Trim and discard any excess fat from chicken (to
prevent flare-ups on grill), rinse and pat dry. Coat chicken
well with remaining chilli sauce in a large bowl. Divide
chicken between two large plastic bags, then seal bags,
pressing out excess air. Marinate chicken, chilled, for at
least an hour.
8. Let chicken stand at room temperature for 10 minutes
9. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess
liquid. Season chicken with salt and grill for 25-30 minutes,
starting with skin side down and turning occasionally to
prevent over-browning. Baste occasionally with marinade.
10. Heat reserved chilli sauce in a small saucepan over a
moderate heat, stirring regularly. Serve chicken with chilli
sauce accompanied by pickled cabbage with jalapeno and
carrots (see recipe alongside).