Oven temperature: 180°C
1. Grease and line two 20cm round
cake tins. Beat the sugar and oil in
a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs,
one at a time, beating well after
each addition. Stir in the carrots and
2. Sift the flour, baking powder,
bicarbonate of soda and the spices.
Add the orange zest and fold in.
3. Divide the mixture between the two
cake tins and bake in a preheated
oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a
skewer comes out clean.
4. Leave to cool in the tins for
10 minutes before turning out onto a
baking rack. Allow to cool completely
5. Icing: Combine the butter and the
cream cheese, then fold in the icing
sugar. Be careful not to overmix as the
cream cheese will become runny.
6. Use the icing to sandwich the two
halves together and spread the rest
over the top of the cake. Decorate with