1. Shell and skin the broad beans. Heat
the olive oil in a large saucepan and
sauté the onion, carrots, celery and leeks
until soft and shiny.
2. Add the potatoes, bacon and garlic
and stir-fry for another minute or two
before adding the broad beans. Stir-fry
the beans until they are covered with
vegetables and oil. Season with salt and
freshly ground black pepper.
3. Add just enough chicken stock to
cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil
and simmer the vegetables for about
20 minutes or until the beans are soft.
Add more stock if necessary.
4. Pour half the soup into a food
processor and process to form a thick
purée before returning it to the remaining
soup in the saucepan. Add more chicken
stock if the soup is too thick.
5. Place the soup in bowls, drizzle olive
oil over each one and, finally, garnish
with Parmesan cheese.