1. Mix the butter, vanilla essence, salt and 55ml hot water.
2. Combine the yeast, 55ml lukewarm water and sugar in a separate bowl and leave to stand for three minutes until it becomes foamy.
3. Combine the two mixtures and stir in the flour. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or use the dough hook on a food processor.
4. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave to rise in a warm place for an hour until it has doubled in size. Press the dough into a large, well-greased and floured roasting-tin cover and leave to stand in a warm place for another 20 minutes.
5. Cut the apples into quarters and press into the dough.
6. Crumble Mix the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in the butter and then stir
in the vanilla essence and the almonds. Sprinkle the crumble over the cake and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm with custard or cream.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.