How not to mess up French toast
Man, oh man, I do luuurve French toast! My grandma used to lovingly fry piles of it for us kiddie-winks during the school holidays.
I have happy memories of shoving in syrup and cheese laden French whilst watching “Pumpkin patch” and “He-man”. Oh the joys of childhood.
Years on… after a bender or just a really rough day, I turn to French toast with grated mature Cheddar, crispy bacon and maple syrup. Yum!
Top tips for French toast:
– Use bread (toaster, sourdough, rye etc) that is at least a day old – this allows the bread to soak up more yummy egg!
– Always fry in a non-stick pan with a mixture of butter and a little oil for a golden brown colour.
– Drain on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
– Try pastries and sweet bread e.g. croissants, brioche or raisin bread.
– Try a sweet version like croissant French toast with lemon curd and fresh raspberries.
Here are some awesome variations that are good-to-go for breakfast lunch or dinner:
Classic French toast with crispy bacon and fried banana – this combination never fails to rock my world. Just try it.
Croissant French toast with Gypsy ham and Emmentaler cheese – the croissant really adds to this and the savoury filling with mustard is to die for!
Croque monsieur French toast! – a herby cheesy mixture with a slice of gypsy ham between two slices of ciabatta, dunked into an eggy mixture and fried until crispy, golden and gooey in the centre!
2 more ideas:
Use 6 eggs and 1/4 cup milk as basic egg mixture and then add these toppings.
1. Brioche French toast with crispy bacon and berry compote.
3. Croissant French toast with cream cheese, smoked salmon and lemon zest.
What is your favourite French toast combo? And which breakfast spot makes the best French toast in your opinion?