Media24 launches new exciting Afrikaans lifestyle channel
Media24 is launching a brand-new Afrikaans entertainment lifestyle channel, VIA, on DStv channel 147 on Monday, 9 November 2015 at 4pm. It’s the first channel that has an exclusive focus on Afrikaans lifestyle entertainment. VIA will be available to DStv Family, Compact, Extra and Premium customers in South Africa and Namibia.
This 24-hour lifestyle channel is another innovation by Media24 to create exceptional content and products for Afrikaans audiences across diverse Media24 platforms.
’We are extremely excited to launch VIA and we’re proud that we can treat our Afrikaans audiences to a brand-new Afrikaans channel,’ says Esmaré Weideman, Chief Executive Officer of Media24. ‘’The shows we have seen are lovely. I think we are going to see a host of new TV stars!’’
Weideman says a TV channel is a natural step in Media24’s evolution as one of Africa’s leading media companies. ‘We are particularly strong when it comes to digital, social and print media and we are delighted to include TV as another platform where we can serve our audiences working closely with our magazines, newspapers and digital platforms.’
VIA will launch with 22 new programmes on food and diets, relationships and style. The channel focuses on Afrikaans women and their families. Every weekday, five to six lifestyle and reality shows will be broadcast in a 3-hour fresh content block. The shows will première between 4pm and 7pm, repeated across the week as well as on weekends.
VIA’s content strategy is to ‘delight and entertain DStv customers with shows that resonate with their lives’, says VIA Head of Content, Pat van Heerden. ‘We offer a glimpse of the lifestyles of others, we see the remarkable characters in our midst and we celebrate the quirkiness in the ordinary.’
VIA collaborates with stalwart Media24 magazines such as Huisgenoot, SARIE, Landbouweekblad, TVplus, Kuier, Tuis, Idees, Weg and their digital platforms to introduce content and drive engagement around shows. ‘Media24’s newspaper titles such as Die Burger, Beeld, Volksblad and Rapport as well as the digital news platform Newerk24 will also play a key role,’’ says Izelle Venter, Editor-in-Chief of Media24 Lifestyle’s Editorial Solutions division.
Charlene Beukes, General Manager of Media24 Lifestyle, adds: ’I am convinced the channel will become a household name for our current and new audiences. At the same time we know advertisers want to talk to our audiences across various platforms – VIA is the next link in our media chain.’
Channel Head Cheryl Uys-Allie said the brand new VIA programmes were created by some of the country’s best producers. ‘They have worked under enormous pressure to deliver fresh local content in a remarkably short time. We salute their commitment,’ she said.
Media24 provides an excellent opportunity for the channel to aggregate content across its diverse platforms, she added. VIA launch shows include some of the following highlights:
• Die eet oorlog – Three diets. Three brave women. And a 30-day battle against the bulge. With the help of our team of experts, our contestants will try to shed the kilos in order to fit into their new swimsuits.
• Inspirasiekos met SARIE – The talented SARIE food editor, Herman Lensing, is on the lookout for South Africa’s best ingredients. He meets the passionate personalities behind the produce – and whips up a feast!
• Zavion – Zavion goes for gold: whether it’s as an event’s planner or as an athlete. The cameras try to keep up as he juggles the weddings and decathlons filling his diary.
• Jy het ’n Wenresep! – Three aspiring chefs fight it out so that iconic HUISGENOOT food editor, Carmen Niehaus, can crown one of their dishes as a Wenresep to be featured in South Africa’s widest read magazine.
• My droom-trourok – Brides-to-be meet the famous Diaan Daniels to try on top-designer wedding gowns. In every bride-to-be’s mind she has a perfect wedding dress, but sometimes it’s not always her taste that wins the day.
• ’n Halfuur met Hanlie – A rare encounter with RAPPORT’s leading interviewer, Hanlie Retief, who will introduce us to fascinating people who interest, astound and inspire her.
• Kom ons braai – South Africa’s favourite pastime is now a social experiment. Three couples who are strangers invite one another for a braai. Watch what happens around the fire.
The VIA team is led by Channel Head Cheryl Uys-Allie, Content Head Pat van Heerden and Editor-in-Chief of Media24’s Editorial Solutions team, Izelle Venter.
For more information visit www.viatv.co.za.