If you're a Banter, you will be all too familiar with coconut milk. It's one of the many "healthy fats" that Prof Tim Noakes advocates in his revolutionary cookbook, together with coconut flour, coconut oil and of course the snow white desiccated coconut that we have all grown up to know. Lamingtons anyone?
It's been hailed as a kind of superfood (some calling it 'The fruit of life"). I've used coconut oil to make my hair shiny, soothe sunburn, sauté vegetables and even have it blended in a bullet-proof coffee. One thing I know for sure though is that it's pretty darn delicious - in any form.
if you have a lonely tin of coconut milk hiding and growing old at the back of your grocery cupboard, bring it out to play and have some fun with these recipes!
1. Coconut and lime ice cream - Summer + ice cream = perfect match
2. Fragrant lamb curry - this rich curry is ideal for a crowd and will be great for a #NotSadDeskLunch the following day.
3. Asian chicken salad - light, healthy and with a beautiful Asian zing!
4. Low carb coconut porridge - totally delicious! Creamy and thick with a handful of fresh berries for a morning boost.
5. Butternut soup - coconut milk lends a smooth and velvety texture to a South African household favourite.
- Tessa Purdon