Regardless of your water consumption, these 5 easy earth-friendly hacks will give you peace of mind and help you keep a sparkling clean kitchen.
1. All-purpose cleaner:
A classic household staple, this cleaner will keep your kitchen and whole house fresh.
– Equal parts white vinegar to water, we recommend 1 cup to 1 cup
– 3-6 drops of essential oil of your choice
– TIP: Save cleaning a measuring glass and add solution directly into a clear spray bottle, fill halfway with water, then halfway with vinegar.
2. Reusable homemade disinfectant wipes:
(adapted from Keeper of the Home)
Turning to disinfectant wipes is a fantastic way to save on time, money and water.
– Empty ice cream, yogurt or already used baby wipes container
– Cut 20 squares of scrap material into 10x10cm or 12x12cm use old clothes or rags
Make cleaning solution
– 1 cup water ½ cup vinegar and lemon essential oil optional
– Cover squares with cleaning solution in your container
– Leave for a few hours until completely soaked
– TIP: Add to pile of towels to washing, they shouldn’t take up much space in the machine or much extra water when hand washing.
3. Baking soda oven cleaner:
Instead of scrubbing with water and soap or using harsh chemicals, try this tried and tested recipe for removing oven grit.
– Remove racks
– Lightly spray or dampen oven with an 8th cup of water
– Water saving TIP: If you don’t have a spray bottle measure out water and soak small dish towel, dampen oven with wet dish towel
– Cake on baking powder (about a cm or 2 thick) NOTE: If it’s not sticking to the sides, add a a few drops of water your baking soda directly to make a paste
– Leave for a few hours, the longer the better
– Use an old recycled toothbrush to take off any leftover baking soda
– Wipe down with homemade disinfectant wipe
– Preheat oven before cooking again
4. Use lemon to clean your cutting boards instead of scrubbing under water:
Yes, you have to clean your cutting board better.
– Add a tablespoon of salt
– Cut a lemon in half
– Use the fleshy side of the lemon to scrub the salt into the board
– Fill half a cup with warm water and rinse board
5. Baking soda air freshener:
A 2-step recipe to lift those funky kitchen smells; great for when you can’t do the dishes.
– Salt or pepper shaker or any jar with pin sized holes on top
– Fill halfway with baking powder
– Add 3 drops of your favourite essential oil, lemon, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus
– TIP: Add more drops for a bigger container.
– Give a gentle shake
– Repeat shake to freshen the freshener
ALSO READ: Could salt tolerant crops be our future?