Tips for keeping your groceries fresher for longer
According to Stats SA, inflation is at an all-time high this year, resulting in a stark increase in the cost of living and fuel prices.
Many of us are feeling the pinch and are looking for ways to cut back and save on grocery expenses. We’ve created a guide to keeping fruit and veg fresher for longer, helping you get the most from your rand.
While we might purchase our fruit and veg when it’s fresh and vibrant, it can go all downhill with a few days of incorrect storage. The key to keeping fresh produce at its best is how you store it.
We found some handy tips and tricks on TikTok.
Tips to keep vegetables fresher
- Store carrots and celery in a jar of water in the fridge to keep them crunchy for weeks.
- If you’ve bought herbs with long stems or roots (such as coriander), submerge the stems in water to prevent them from wilting, or wrap them in damp paper towel or a clean, damp tea towel, gently roll it up, and store in the fridge.
- Onions, garlic and shallots must be kept out of the fridge in a dry area.
- Avoid putting potatoes in the fridge and store them in a cool, dry, dark spot.
- Wrap lettuce in foil and place it in the fridge to keep it fresh for up to 30 days.
- Ginger and lemons are best stored in the fridge.
- Spinach is best stored in an air-tight container lined with damp paper towel.
- Bell peppers are best stored in a clear plastic bag with holes it it and placed in the fridge
READ: A basic guide to storing food in your fridge
Tips to keep fruit fresh
- Bananas: wrap the top stems in plastic wrap and store them by themselves to prevent them from ripening too quickly.
- Pears, apples and kiwis must be kept separate as they release a gas called ethylene, which is known to ripen any other items near it.
- Soak berries (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries) in a mixture of 1/4 cup white vinegar and 3/4 cup water for 10 minutes, rinse, dry and store in a container lined with paper towel.
- Mangoes and grapes are best stored in the fridge.
Watch the video clips below which display the above:
@creative_explained How to save money & reduce waste! 🤩 #fresh #fruit #vegetables #plantbased #lifehacks #cookinghacks #cookingtiktok #foodie #recipe #howto #learn ♬ original sound – Armen Adamjan
@mama_mila_ Reducr wastage with these 3 simple tricks 🥬🍎 #kitchenhacks #fridgeorganisation ♬ SNAP – High and Fast – Rosa Linn
Leave a Reply