With an arsenal of easy-to-make, delicious and nutritious salads, summer entertaining can be a breeze. With the summer temperatures soaring, don’t get caught with wasted wilted vegetables that couldn’t stand the heat in your kitchen. Keep a supply of McCain frozen vegetables in the freezer ready to be transformed into a variety of delicious entertaining ideas. The convenience of having quality vegetables on hand will save you time and money and make you look like a superstar!
Our top 5 summer entertaining tips
1. Keep it simple. Summer entertaining should be a laid-back affair. A few platters with beautifully dressed salads served buffet style is really all you need. Include all the colours of the rainbow when you plan your next menu:
- Orange and yellow vegetables like McCain Carrots Julienne and McCain Pumpkin Chunks provide your body with beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that promotes heart health, boosts your immune system and protects you against certain cancers.
- Green vegetables like McCain Garden Peas, McCain Broccoli Florets and McCain Garden Spinach contain antioxidants, vitamin C, fibre and flavonoids that not only boost brain health but also reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in cells.
- Purple and dark vegetables like McCain Diced Beetroot, purple cabbage and aubergines and fruits like blueberries contain an antioxidant called anthocyanin. Anthocyanins are good for cardiovascular health, cancer prevention and brain health.
- White vegetables like McCain Cauliflower Florets and mushrooms. Cauliflower contains sulphur compounds that are associated with fighting cancer, strengthening bone tissue, and maintaining healthy blood vessels.
- Red vegetables like tomatoes and red sweet peppers may help reduce the risk of diabetes, osteoporosis and high cholesterol.
2. Make food to share. Have a variety of dips with crunchy veggies and crisps or crackers on the table for when guests arrive. Make a delicious pumpkin hummus using McCain’s Pumpkin Chunks or a creamy spinach and ricotta dip using McCain Garden Spinach.
3. Make your salads even healthier. You can add vegetables in dressings and sauces to make them even more nutritious. Add a handful of McCain’s Broccoli Florets and McCain’s Garden Spinach next time you make your favourite basil pesto. Serve it over silky soft mozzarella cheese and sun-ripened tomatoes in a delicious Caprese salad.
4. Think of the drinks. Have a separate table for drinks to keep the flow going. Have enough water and ice on hand, especially on a hot day. Make large jugs of homemade ice teas to share. Combine 1L of strongly brewed rooibos tea with 500ml of berry juice and 500ml of sparkling mineral water. You can also use sparkling wine instead of water if you want to give it a bit of a kick.
5. End with a bang! A lovely summer dessert is the perfect way to end a party. A huge pavlova topped with a variety of berries is always a winner. Or what about ice cream cones? Fewer dishes for you and even the adults will love it.