Spanish cuisine has been touted as the food du jour of 2015, and certainly deserves a spot in the limelight. Tasty, festive, and affordable, it’s sure to conjure up memories of languorous, coastal Summer holidays.
Starters and mains
1. Tortilla de patatas – The Spanish omelette, or Tortilla Española, is a typical Spanish dish of egg and potato omelette fried in vegetable oil. It’s delicious and incredibly easy to make. Try this one with creamy mushrooms.
2. Patatas bravas – a fried potato dish served warm with a spicy tomato sauce. Try this one with spicy chorizo.
3. Migas de pastor – Day-old bread soaked in water slowly fried with olive oil and bacon or chorizo.
4. Escalivada – Smoky, chargrilled vegetables and anchovies.
5. Pescito frito – A simple coastal Spanish dish of crumbed and fried sardines.
6. Gazpacho – A Southern Spain tomato-based soup made of raw vegetables and served cold.
7. Paella – A simple, rustic and tasty rice dish.
8. Pinchitos morunas – These pork sosaties pay homage to the Moors who brought skewers and marinated meat to Spain.
9. Beef empanandas – A fried pastry filled with meat.
10. Chicken and spinach croquettes – Delicious as a tapa or starter.
11. Spanish tapas – Perfect for Spanish-style entertaining.
12. Spanish hake and chorizo – This Spanish Merluza à la Gallega is a one-pot wonder.
Desserts and drinks
15. Leche frita – A sweet custard treat.
16. Spanish churros – A drool-worthy dessert of fried choux pastry, dipped in chocolate.
17. Crème caramel – A rich custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top.
18. Crème brûlée – A dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a layer of hard caramel.
19. Bunuelos (Fried honey knots) – Delicious fried pastry.
20. Fruity Sangria – A refreshing drink.