|125 g||bacon — chopped|
|10||button mushrooms — small, sliced|
|500 g||beef mince|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper — to taste|
|15 ml||fresh thyme — chopped|
|30 ml||fresh parsley — chopped|
|150 g||cheddar cheese — grated|
|4||bread — English muffins|
|4||eggs — fried|
|250 g||cherry tomatoes|
|1||garlic — cloves, crushed|
|30 ml||vinegar — balsamic|
|15 ml||brown sugar|
1. Heat half the oil in a pan, then add the bacon and fry until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, fry the mushrooms until golden and softened, then set aside along with the bacon.
3. Mix together the mince, salt and pepper, thyme and parsley, then shape into 4 patties.
4. Heat a griddle pan, drizzle the patties with the remaining olive oil then grill on both sides.
5. To prepare the tomato relish, place the cherry tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a clean pan and simmer gently until the tomatoes start to burst and soften.
6. Cut the muffins in half, and toast.
7. Assemble each burger by placing half a muffin on a plate. Top with some relish, burger patty, cheese, mushrooms, bacon and fried egg, more relish and finally the other half of the muffin.
A recipe extract from ‘Simply Zola’ by Zola Nene, published by Penguin Random House. The book retails for R290.
ALSO TRY: Zola Nene’s Piña Colada Layered Cake