|1||onion — chopped|
|4||garlic — cloves, crushed|
|2||celery stalks — chopped|
|2||carrots — diced|
|500 g||beef mince|
|50 g||tomato paste|
|1||tinned tomatoes — chopped|
|250 ml||stock — beef|
|10 ml||brown sugar|
|5 ml||dried mixed herbs|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|nutmeg — ground, pinch|
|500 g||pasta — lasagne sheets|
|250 ml||mozzarella cheese — or cheddar cheese, grated|
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease a large ovenproof dish with non-stick spray.
1 .Bolognese sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot and fry the onion until fragrant. Add the garlic, celery and carrots and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mince and stir-fry until brown. Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock.
3. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar, herbs, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. White sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Turn the heat down and stir in the flour. Stir for 30 seconds. Add the milk bit by bit while stirring continuously. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, stirring all the while to prevent lumps from forming.
5. Season with the nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
6. To finish: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the lasagne in batches until just done but still firm. Drain.
7. Spread a layer of white sauce in the bottom of the prepared ovenproof dish. Add a layer of lasagne sheets. Follow with a layer of bolognese sauce. Repeat the layers until you’ve used all the ingredients, ending with the last of the white sauce.
8. Generously sprinkle the cheese over and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Garnish with fresh basil.