|1||onion — finely chopped|
|2||garlic — cloves, finely chopped|
|300 g||ham — cooked, finely chopped|
|salt — to taste|
|5 ml||freshly ground black pepper|
|2,5 ml||nutmeg — ground|
|15 ml||fresh parsley — finely chopped|
|180 ml||gouda cheese|
|2||eggs — beaten|
|breadcrumbs — seasoned|
1. Heat butter in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until golden brown, then add the garlic.
2. Add the ham and allow to brown slightly before adding the salt, pepper, nutmeg and parsley.
3. Stir in the flour so it forms a roux. Add milk in a little stream while whisking continuously.
4. Continue stirring until all the ingredients are combined and the consistency of the mixture is nice and thick. Set the mixture aside to cool at room temperature.
5. Once cooled, roll the mixture into balls and place a cube of cheese in the centre of each one, making sure there are no gaps where the cheese can run out.
6. Put the balls into the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
7. Prepare 2 shallow bowls, one with the beaten eggs and the other with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
8. Dip the bitterballen into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs.
9. Place on a plate, cool in the fridge for another 30 minutes and then fry in oil until golden brown.
10. Serve hot with mustard.