|125 ml||long grain white rice — uncooked|
|875 ml||milk — low-fat|
|1||cinnamon — stick|
|salt — just a pinch|
|60 ml||brown sugar pinch of ground nutmeg|
|6 ml||vanilla — essence|
|60 ml||almonds — flaked, toasted|
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, add the rice, 750ml (3c)
milk, the cinnamon stick and the salt. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently
until the mixture comes to a simmer and begins to thicken.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, sugar and the remaining
milk until well combined. Add about 250ml (1c) of the rice mixture to the egg
mixture at a time, whisking to combine.
3. Place the rice and egg mixture back into the pot. Add the
nutmeg and vanilla essence and continue to cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes
or until thickened.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins.
5. Serve warm or cold with the almond slices and chocolate
shavings, if using.