What's not to love when it comes to warm hot cross buns fresh from the oven? But if you find yourself with slightly less-than-fresh hot cross buns, turn them into this bread-and-butter pudding, layered with orange marmalade and baked until golden brown. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and great as a sweet treat for the Easter weekend.
Rate this recipe
Tap for method
|6||hot cross buns|
|100 ml||orange marmalade|
|5 ml||vanilla essence|
Tap for ingredients
- Cut each hot cross bun horizontally into approximately 1cm-thick slices (about three slices per bun) and butter the slices.
- Layer the buttered hot cross bun slices with orange marmalade in an AMC 20cm Baking Tin. You should get three layers.
- To make the custard, whisk together eggs, vanilla essence, cream and milk in an AMC 20cm Dome until combined
- Gently pour custard over layered hot cross buns and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 25–30 minutes until set. Serve warm with your choice of custard, whipped cream or ice cream and fresh berries.
- Substitute marmalade with 8–10 marshmallow eggs or 100g dark chocolate pieces.