|80 ml||icing sugar — sifted|
|4||eggs — seperated|
|60 ml||castor sugar|
|5 ml||vanilla — essence|
|125 ml||caster sugar — to dredge|
Preheat oven to 180 °C and grease 6 tartlet pans.
1. Pastry: Process the flour, icing sugar and butter in a blender until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and blend so the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. On a floured surface, roll out the dough about 3 mm thick and press it into the tartlet tins. Blind bake for 8 minutes or until golden in colour.
3. Custard: Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy. Heat the cream in a pot until almost boiling. Gradually add the cream to the egg mixture, whisking well after each addition Continue mixing for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the vanilla essence, pour into the pastry cases and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
5. Preheat the grill on high. When the tarts are completely cooled sprinkle castor sugar over each and place in the oven for 2 minutes or until golden on top.