Creamy chilli and garlic prawn pasta
4 servings Prep: 20 mins, Cooking: 20 mins
Tap for method
|700 g||prawns — raw, peeled|
|2 tsp||dried chilli flakes|
|4||garlic cloves — minced|
|1||lemon — zest and juice|
|1-2||birds eye chilli|
|150 g||pasta ribbons|
|1 tbsp||cake wheat flour|
|1 1/2 - 2 cup||cream — or milk|
|1/2 tbsp||flat leaf parsley — chopped|
Tap for ingredients
Rub peeled prawns in coarse salt and rinse a few times. Squeeze to remove excess water and marinate the prawns in a mixture of chilli flakes, garlic, lemon, bird’s eye chilli and salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Boil pasta in salted water as per instructions on the packet. Cook until al dente, drain the water and return to the pot to keep warm.
Heat one tablespoon of butter in a pan and flash-fry half the prawns for 30 seconds on each side. Add another tablespoon of butter and flash-fry the remaining prawns. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the same pan. Add the flour and cook for a minute.
Add the cream and simmer for about one minute, until the sauce is thick. Add the prawns to the sauce and heat through.
Divide pasta into pasta bowls and add the prawn sauce on top. Garnish with parsley.
- The prawns used weigh 700g with the shell on.
- I rub coarse salt into my prawns as I find that this gets rid of all the nasties in the prawns and then rinse a few times to remove the excess salt.
- Squeeze all the excess liquid well to prevent rubbery prawns.
- You can use cream or milk, depending on how rich you want the sauce.
- Reserve some of the pasta water to add to the dish if it becomes too thick.