|2||cinnamon — stick|
|15 ml||Robertson's baking powder|
|salt — just a pinch|
|5 ml||cinnamon — ground|
|2,5 ml||garlic — clove|
|nutmeg — ground, pinch|
|oil — for deep frying|
1. Syrup: Heat the sugar, water and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
2. Dough: Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Add the butter and, using your fingers, rub in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl. Add a little at a time to the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough out on a very lightly floured work surface. Cut it into strips about 11 cm long and 1 cm wide. Make three incisions lengthways in each strip, leaving the top intact. Plait each strip and pinch the ends together to secure. Set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot carefully add about 4 koeksisters at a time, pressing them down for a few seconds with a slotted spoon. Fry until golden brown on all sides.
6. Using the slotted spoon, remove the koeksisters and dunk immediately into the syrup. Put on a wire rack that’s been placed over a baking pan so they can drain. Reuse any syrup that drains into the pan.