Carving a roast chicken or turkey
|chicken — or turkey|
1. Place the bird on its back with the drumsticks facing to the right.
2. Insert the carving fork across the breastbone and hold it firmly in the left hand.
3. With the carving knife in the right hand, cut through the skin between the drumstick and the body, close to the body. Cut the drumstick loose from the body.
4. Cut off the wing on the same side and in the same way.
5. Cut off the drumstick and wing on the other side.
6. Separate the thighs from the drumsticks, and divide the wings at the joints.
7. Carve the breast meat into thin, crosswise slices, keeping the fork in position until all the breast meat has been carved.
• Carve a turkey on the one side only, unless the whole bird is to be used immediately.