|1||chicken — whole|
|4||garlic — cloves, bruised|
|2||onions — quartered|
|10 ml||freshly ground black pepper|
|15 ml||chicken spice mix|
|30 ml||coriander seeds — toasted and ground|
|15 ml||ground cumin — toasted|
|5 ml||sea salt|
|1-2||red chillies — chopped|
|fresh parsley — a handful, chopped|
|fresh coriander — a handful, chopped|
|60 ml||spekboom leaves — or the juice and grated zest of 1 lemon|
|80 ml||fresh chillies|
1. Using kitchen scissors, remove the backbone of the
chicken. Turn the chicken over (breast upward) and press down with the heel of
your hand to break the breast bone.
2. Put the salt, sugar, bay leaves, garlic and onions in a
large glass bowl or nonmetal marinating dish. Add the water and stir until the
salt has dissolved. Put the chicken in the brine – if the chicken isn’t
completely covered, add more water to the brine. Put in the fridge for 2 hours
3. Prepare a fire with enough coals to braai the chicken. Put
a stand in the coals and keep a folding braai grid handy. Remove the chicken from
the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Season the chicken with the pepper and spice. Put in the
grid and braai over medium coals for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and done.
5. Mix the ingredients well.
6. As soon as the chicken is done, remove from the fire. Cut
into portions and serve with the salsa.