“This is my favourite recipe," Elaine Heckroodt of Big Bay, Cape Town says, "You usually have most of the ingredients at home.”
|125 g||butter — or margarine|
|310 ml||castor sugar|
|2||eggs — whisked|
|5 ml||Robertson's bicarbonate of soda|
|30 ml||sour milk|
|2-3||bananas — ripe, mashed|
|5 ml||Robertson's vanilla essence|
|375 ml||cake flour|
“This is my favourite recipe,” Elaine Heckroodt of Big Bay, Cape Town says, “You usually have most of the ingredients at home.”
Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
Grease a medium-sized loaf tin with butter or nonstick spray and dust with flour.
1. Cream the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the whisked eggs.
2. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the sour milk and add to the butter mixture.
3. Stir in bananas and vanilla essence.
4. Sift the flour and salt over the egg mixture and fold in.
5. Turn the batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes or until done and a testing skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly and turn out.
6. Cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve with butter.