|625 g||cream cheese — room tenperature|
|2/3 c||butter — unsalted, softened|
|1 1/2 c||sugar|
|8||eggs — separated|
|2 tsp||lemon — zest only|
|2 Tbs||lemon juice — fresh|
|1 tsp||vanilla — extract|
|1/2 tsp||orange flower water|
|1/2 tsp||almonds — extract|
1. Preheat oven to 180o and butter bottom and side of a 10 inch spring form pan.
2. Cut out 1 10 inch round of parchment paper and place it in the bottom of the pan, lightly butter the round of parchment. Cut out a 32 by 5 inch strip of parchment and butter one side of the strip, fit the unbuttered side of the strip against buttered side of the pan, the strip should extend 2 inches above the rim of the pan.
3. Beat together cream cheese, butter, ¾ cup sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice & zest, almond extract, vanilla and orange flower water in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy about two minutes. Add cornstarch and mix at low speed until just combined.
4. Beat egg whites in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium speed until whites just hold soft peaks, add remaining ¾ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating, then increase speed to high and continue beating until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks, about 2 minutes.
5. Fold ¼ of the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture to lighten, then fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
6. Line outside of spring form pan with foil (covering bottom and about 1 inch up side) to waterproof. Pour batter into pan and gently smooth top and bake in hot water bath with boiling water coming halfway up the sides of the pan, in middle of oven until top is golden but cake trembles slightly when pan is shaken gently, 55 – 65 minutes.
7. Cheesecake will rise in the oven but then will fall slightly and set as it cools.
8. Transfer spring form pan to a rack to cool completely and then chill loosely covered for at least eight hours.
9. Cut cake using a knife dipped in hot water and wiped clean or a piece of fishing line or dental floss.