Supplied by Stretton's Gin
“Stretton’s goes with everything and everything goes with Stretton’s” is something we’ve always believed, so we thought we’d put this to the test. How? By bringing a little unexpected to something chicken connoisseurs love: wings. Whether it’s a big night out or an everyday get-together, chicken wings are always a good idea. Adding a dash of Stretton’s felt like an even better one, ‘cos in the Stretton’s world, experimenting and fun go hand in hand.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup rooibos tea
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup Stretton’s Original London Dry Gin
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1kg chicken wings
We went with Stretton’s Original as its perfectly balanced recipe of botanicals complements the wings’ flavour.
The cooking instructions are quick and simple:
- Combine the rooibos with honey, lemon, garlic and ginger.
- Add the Stretton’s Gin to the rooibos mixture as well as chilli, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Add the chicken wings to a large ziplock bag and add the marinade mixture.
- Seal and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes to one hour.
- Place the marinated chicken wings on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 min, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 4 requires a little bit of waiting; use your time wisely and make yourself a Stretton’s drink to accompany the wings. You can choose any Stretton’s for this. You’ve used Stretton’s Original for the wings, so let’s meet the rest of the Stretton’s squad. There’s Double Cut, Triple Berry and Wild Berries. Stretton’s Double Cut is double distilled for extra flavour and smoothness. Triple Berry is perfect for adding a dash of fun to any occasion with its delicious strawberry, raspberry and sloe berry flavour. Wild Berries is the latest simply unexpected Stretton’s made from a wildly delicious blend of blueberries and blackcurrant with a twist of grapefruit. You can keep things simple and use the Stretton’s Original you have on hand in the Original Gin and Juice – it’s a tough one to beat:
- Pour a double shot of Stretton’s Original over ice.
- Top with orange juice.
- Garnish with an orange slice.
Ta-da, a delicious Stretton’s drink to accompany your tasty wings!
Finally, don’t forget to leave some wings and Stretton’s for your guests.