Making toast? Here are 10 topping ideas
Who doesn’t love a thick slice of warm toast? Hot and dripping with butter, served with a warm cup of tea. A humble breakfast that’s undeniably hard to resist. Apart from the gloriously familiar and warming aromas wafting from a well-used toaster, what make this simple snack so satisfying? It comes down to science.
Exposure to heat in a toaster or under a grill revamps the taste and texture of bread (as a result of the Maillard reaction) to create something crunchy and comforting. The best part? The variety of ingredients you can put on a piece of toast is limitless, so you can never get bored of it.
1. Nanette Turner: ‘honey and cinnamon’
2. Angela Walker Bennett: ‘cheese, melted with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper’
3. Anthea Kirtland: ‘sliced banana and condensed milk’
4. Mogamat Noor: ‘peanut butter with cucumber and lettuce’
5. Merlyn Volkwyn: ‘avo, cottage cheese and tomato’
6. Khadzi Ya Madzaneni Eva: ‘Mopani worms’
7. Di Babb: crispy bacon, ‘avo and crumbled feta’
8. Brenda Evans: ‘cheese and fig jam’
9. Samantha Harris: ‘smooth peanut butter and gooseberry jam’
10. Katie Prinsloo: ‘butter’
Step up your toast! Artisanal toast is trending right now.
Try honey and oat bread toast with caramel macadamia spread for your gourmet toast fix.
Banting? Forget the toast! We could eat this straight out the jar! Have you tried Buttanutt Tree Nut Spreads?