It’s all systems GO! for this year’s Plant Powered Show
Supplied by The Plant Powered Show
It’s all systems GO! for this month’s Plant Powered Show, which takes place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from Friday, 26 May, to Sunday, 28 May.
The bumper line-up of chefs and mixologists can be seen for free, demonstrating in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, as well as taking part in the not-to-be-missed daily Masterclass programme that features attendees cooking an array of scrumptious plant-based dishes and mixing cocktails alongside some of the show’s top drawcards.
They include English chef, writer and presenter Tom Hunt; plant-based African food educator Jane Nshuti; international award-winning wild and indigenous chef Gregory Henderson; Chef’s Table Cape Town founder Santi Louzán; Western Cape wild foods expert Loubie Rusch; chef, food stylist and editor of TFG’s MyKitchen magazine Chad January; vegan bakery Cinnamon Club owner Jacques Kruger; nutritional therapist and naturopath Aliya Ferguson; Sunshine Food Co. founder Elisha Madzivadondo; classically trained French chef Damian Jardim; ex-Delaire Graff Estate and Boschendal chef Christiaan Campbell; Jenny Morris, aka the Giggling Gourmet; co-founder of the vegan sushi restaurant Plushi Carin Brink; executive chef at WE Café Eugene Volkov; co-owner and director of Cause Effect Cocktail Kitchen & Cape brandy bar Kurt Schlechter; and one of the country’s top mixologists, developers, trainers and event managers for everything bar-related Roxanne Read, aka Rox the Fox!
A morsel-size glance at the programme of free demonstrations taking place in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, shows the following:
- Jenny Morris on how to make her red kidney bean cauliflower and corn curry and quick broccoli soup
- Gregory Henderson demonstrating his Botanical Hargrow Mirror
- Jane Nshuti making gnocchi with moringa and basil pesto
- Rox the Fox whipping up her Green Goddess Fizz
- Christiaan Campbell cooking steamed baby marrow and pecan nut dumpling, vegetable slaw, roasted carrot and dukkha spice and dark chocolate tart with sweet cashew nut cream
- Chad January making tofu, spinach and mushroom tikka masala and asian style tofu, spinach, mushroom and wilted greens with sesame dressing
- Tom Hunt with his apple scrap cider vinegar, multi-seed plant milk and vegan truffles
- Eugene Volkov creating a salad on a tofu cream pillow and onion soup with broccoli and cauliflower garnish
Demos in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, will include free tasters of the chefs’ recipes for audiences, and emcees are radio presenter Guy McDonald and fitness, food, travel and mental health guru Amy Hoppy.
The popular hands-on Masterclasses, held daily and available to only 20 premium ticket holders per class (almost 50% already sold out!), will feature some of the aforementioned chefs, plant-based experts and mixologists demonstrating how to create dishes, drinks, dips, desserts and much more. A soupçon of the line-up includes:
- Mediterranean broth bowl and Mediterranean tacos with Damian Jardim
- Avocado, lemon and basil pasta and lemon and rose sorbet with Aliya Ferguson
- Vegan paella with Santi Louzán
- Beauty of the Beet with Carin Brink
- Rainbow sweet potato casserole with Damian Jardim
- “Inspired by Fynbos” cocktails with Kurt Schlechter and Schweppes premium mix
- Exploring dune spinach in the wild, in cultivation, in cooking with Loubie Rusch
- Raw avocado chocolate tart and vegan meringue with Jacques Kruger
The emcee for the Masterclasses will be executive director for BNI Cape Town and Johannesburg Björn L. Salsone.
For the full programme details for both The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, and the Masterclasses, visit The Plant Powered Show website.
This year, The Plant Powered Show will also make its long-awaited Gauteng debut when it launches at the Kyalami International Convention Centre from 4 to 6 August.
Tickets are on sale at Quicket (for Cape Town, click here; for Johannesburg, click here). Book your tickets before the show and save 25% on your ticket with promo code SAVE25!
Leave a Reply