How to celebrate your birthday during lockdown
You may not be able to pop a bottle of bubbles with your loved ones just yet, but there are other ways to mark a special occasion – remotely and safely.
Get your booze delivered
Spoil yourself by having a special bottle delivered to your door (or treat someone else to a delivery). Here are some of our top picks of alcohol delivery services in South Africa.
- Bottles: This app stocks a wide range of alcohol options and often posts cocktail-recipe inspiration on their Instagram page.
- Barkeeper: This Cape Town-based liquor store has opened up an online shop and delivers nationwide.
- Yuppiechef: This popular online store stocks a wide range of goodies, from kitchenware to sweet treats and, of course, booze.
- Takealot: Another online store that supplies almost anything and everything. You can add a bottle or two to your next order of leisurewear.
- Mr D: You can order alcohol with your food if the restaurant sells alcohol, or you can order from Checkers LiquorShop.
Many restaurants, wine farms and bars are also doing alcohol deliveries and collections, so keep an eye on your favourites to support them directly. Make your drinks feel extra-special by jazzing them up with garnishes, syrups and more – here, three bartenders share how to do happy hour at home.
Set up snacks
Of course, every party (even a solo one) needs food. Check out these articles for some inspiration:
- 6 fabulous finger foods that won’t have you slaving away
- Top 10 easy party snacks
- 12 terrific pâtés to make for your next party
- 6 killer kebab recipes to have in your back pocket
You can pick and choose how many dishes to whip up depending on how many people are in your household. To make it feel even more like a party, ask your family and friends who are celebrating with you remotely to make the same dishes.
Now that your glass of bubbles has been poured and your eats have been laid out, it’s time to gather your favourite people together – remotely, of course. There are many online video call options now, with Zoom, Google Hangouts and WhatsApp being the most popular. And you can even watch a movie remotely with your friends by using Netflix Party.
If you prefer to socialise in person, head to our sister site, Eat Out, to see which restaurants are open for business.