Pick n Pay is very extra with this recipe for a hot-cross bunnychow. But considering it combines both chocolate and hot-cross buns, we’re all for it.
- 100g soft butter
- 250ml milk, warmed
- 765g flour
- 80ml preserved citrus peel
- 50g sugar
- 60ml seedless raisins
- 10ml cinnamon
- 5ml mixed spice
- 8ml yeast
- 5ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 125ml icing sugar
- 30ml water
- 2 slabs milk chocolate (160g)
- 125ml cream
- 125ml cream, whipped
- 1 handful assorted Easter eggs, crushed
1. Melt butter in milk and leave to cool to room temperature.
2. Mix flour, citrus peel, sugar, raisins, spices, yeast and salt.
3. Make a well in the middle and add butter, milk mixture and eggs.
4. Mix well and bring together to form a wet but pliable dough.
5. Knead well for 10 minutes. Cover and set aside to double in size.
6. Preheat oven to 180°C, and grease and flour 8 shallow cans.
7. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape into balls and push to bottom of cans. Set aside to double in size.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
9. Mix icing sugar with just enough water to make a thick paste. Pipe on each hot-cross bun.
10. Melt chocolate with cream over a bain-marie until combined.
11. To serve, cut the tops off, hollow out the bottoms and fill with ganache and whipped cream, and garnish with Easter eggs.