Risotto is one of those Italian dishes that just sounds more exotic when pronounced in a loud, thick Italian accent – “rrrree-zor-torr”. A simple rice dish that uses short-grain rice (which grows extremely well in the Mediterranean) and is cooked by slowly adding liquid (usually stock) and allowing it to be soaked up by the rice grains so that they create a creamy, rich, delicious texture and consistency.
ALSO READ: 8 Tantalising pasta recipes that will remind you why you fell in love with Italian food
The flavour versatility of risotto is something to behold. It has the potential to take on any ingredient and is a great, hearty meal for chilly Autumn days.
Some fear the cooking process of risotto because it requires constant attention and some patient stirring, but once you’ve done it a few times, you’ll see that making a good risotto is dead simple and a brilliant technique to have in your arsenal.
Need a new risotto to sink your teeth into? Try one of these…
1. Pea and goat’s cheese risotto – the goat’s cheese provides a lovely tang to this Summery dish.
2. Roast butternut and Swiss chard barley risotto – a flavourful Winter supper, perfect for meat-free Mondays.
3. Freekeh risotto with broccoli, lemon and goat’s cheese – a nutritious vegetarian meal.
4. Beef and mushroom cauliflower ‘risotto’ – the Banting version.
5. Citrus risotto – vibrant orange flavours and aromas will have you eating bowlfuls.
6. Prawn and chorizo risotto – ditch the stirring and cook this in a pressure cooker!
7. Wild mushroom risotto – a true classic.
8. Tomato risotto – finished off with butter and Parmesan cheese.
9. Roasted butternut and sage risotto – with crispy bacon. Flavour bomb of note!
10. Butternut risotto – buttery butternut squash and paired with pine nuts and sage.
What is your favourite risotto flavour?
To receive quick and convenient weekday recipes, join our Easy Weekday Meals mailing list, and for up-to-date trending food, restaurant and wine news subscribe to our Editor’s Weekly newsletter.
Leave a Reply