S’mores always bring back fond childhood memories of braaing our own marshmallows over the fire or in very desperate times (like those unplanned midnight feasts with friends) over a candle…
Of course, back then we had no idea that this fun treat would later on become so fashionable in the foodie world. During my daily Pinterest visits, I have found some pretty awesome s’mores ideas. I’ve seen everything from s’more cupcakes, milkshakes and cheesecakes to s’more cake pops and biscuits! They all look utterly delicious and have been pinned on my to-do list of recipes I can’t wait to try.
Being the stylist and foodie that I am, I just simply can’t do a “normal” s’more. I happen to have a sister that is addicted to donuts. And when I say addicted, I mean ADDICTED. There’s simply no way that she can walk past a Food Lover’s Market and not pop in for a box of pretty chocolate-dipped donuts. So when I recently visited her and spotted a box of ready-made doughnuts I decided there and then that we were going to make doughnut s’mores. Why not!
The great thing is that the doughnuts are already tasty so you don’t need to do much to them. For this recipe you will need some sugar-crusted or plain donuts (not the iced or chocolate-dipped ones). I found that grilling each half on the braai or in a griddle pan added a lovely charred flavour to it. This ensures that it also crisps up slightly making it a perfect base for the nutty Nutella and soft, stringy marshmallows.
You can either melt the marshmallows the traditional way – putting them onto skewers and then toasting them over the braai. Or you could put all the marshmallows in a heavy-based skillet pan and place it for a minute or so under your oven grill. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM as they toast REALLY quickly! They will get slightly charred and melted at the same time. You can then use a spoon to scoop it up and pile it onto the donut bases. It is so easy and convenient if you’re cooking for a bigger group and don’t want to bother with having everyone stand at the fire to toast their own marshmallows.
4 plain doughnuts, halved horizontally
250ml (1 cup) Nutella
60g peanut brittle, finely chopped (optional)
1. Toast each donut half on both sides, on the braai or in a griddle pan until lightly charred.
2. Spread some nutella onto one half.
3. Place the marshmallows on skewers and braai until golden and melted. Place 2 or 3 onto the doughnut half with the Nutella spread on and add some chopped peanut brittle if you are adding it. Add the top half of the doughnut to sandwich it all together.
4. Repeat with the other S’mores and eat immediately.
– After you have spread on some Nutella, you can add some additional flavour by sprinkling on some chopped nuts, sprinkles, coconut shavings, chopped berries, Smarties, popping candy or orange zest.
– Soak your wooden skewers in some cold water for 10 minutes before the braai. This will prevent them from catching on fire while braaing the marshmallows.
– Nut butters are all the rage right now. After you’ve added come chocolate or Nutella, add a generous dollop of your favourite nut butter – or even just a bit of crunchy peanut butter will do the trick!
Written by food stylist and photographer, Illanique van Aswegen.
Leave a Reply