Awesome craft breweries to check out in your city
Craft beer is usually made by a small, independent brewery. The beers are often brewed with unique twists and styles but traditional ingredients are still used. Beer guru, Martin Tucker says “craft beer should have the following criteria:good ingredients, good brewing
standards, good packaging and pricing and made in small batches and not always
The flavour of craft beers is the most prominent factor which can define a craft from a commercially produced beer and you can certainly taste the difference! Producing a craft beer is all about experimenting, taking risks and innovating.
Here are a few places you should check out if you’re in the mood for a good “cold one” with a unique kick!
1. Devils Peak Brewing Co. – Established in 2012, they began trading with their Founder’s Series of beers and so went on to produce 2 more series and a Lager. Enjoy a craft beer and food pairing board, order something off their food menu or just enjoy one of the beers over good conversation.
2. Riot Brewery – Known as “Cape Town’s loudest brewery”, taste their range of beers from the Session Golden Ale, the Valve IPA, Vixen-Plum Porter and their specialties which are limited additions.
3. Cape Brewing Co.– Opening their doors on 10 December 2012, they have fast become one of the greatest craft brewers in South Africa. Using only the finest of ingredients, resulting in fine craft beers.
4. Black Horse Brewery– With paths leading to each section and scenic views of the Zeekoeihoek valley makes for a great time spent out – the brewery, a great restaurant and a distillery.
5. Copperlake Brewing Co.-“brew your own” a unique experience they offer guests, as well as subtle German influences to bring heritage to the South African audience.
6. SMACK! Republic Brewing Co.– An artisanal brewery with multi-dimensional space that only makes use of high quality equipment. Offering regular beer and food tasting. They are open every Sunday from 10am to 3pm for guests to experience the brewing process.
7. Odyssey Craft Brewery – Starting out as a small home brewery and was officially launched in 2013 at SA on Tap. They are currently producing 3 craft beers, a Pilsner, a Pale Ale and a Chocolate Coffee Porter. Yum!
8. Porcupine Quill Brewing Company – Located in the deli along with the cheesery, bakery and sausage making facility, the beers are handcrafted in small batches. Not only do they brew the Quills range, they have the Dam Wolf and African Moon too!
What is your favourite craft beer brewery in SA?