Find your recipes and restaurants here

Chai – Yo damaged by fire

Chai-Yo, one of Mowbray's favourite Thai dining spots, has temporarily been closed down after a fire ripped through Campground Centre.

by: Food24 | 10 Dec 2008

Popular Thai restaurant Chai-Yo and other businesses were damaged when a Little Mowbray building caught fire on 6 December.

The Cape Times reported that Campground Centre, on the corner of Raapenberg and Campground roads, had its first floor gutted, and extensive water and smoke damage downstairs, after an apparent electrical fault set the building on fire.

Somchart Jirachareonkul, owner of Chai-Yo, said he had been shocked when he saw the extent of the damage.

"The staff started to smell the smoke from upstairs. They went upstairs to investigate but couldn't find anything," Jirachareonkul said.

They assumed the smoke had been from a braai, but then smoke had started coming down the stairs from the events company.

After the fire department left at around 8pm, Jirachareonkul cleared some of the water from the premises. "The upstairs is the most damaged. The storeroom is all gone," Jirachareonkul said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

According to the owner of the building he hoped that within a week to 10 days damage to the bottom floor would be repaired, if the building was certified by inspectors. Chai-Yo and Ocean Fresh Fish would then be able to reopen.

- None


NEXT ON FOOD24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.