For many of us Peppermint Crisp is deeply nostalgic. Why? It’s probably got a lot to do with Peppermint Crisp tart – a lusciously creamy dessert that’s graced the table of countless South Africans.
Not only is it downright delicious, it’s also dead easy to make! A base of coconut-y Tennis Biscuits holds a rich and indulgent filling of whipped cream, caramel and sometimes condensed milk… topped off with crushed up pieces of a Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar. What’s not to love?
Over the years Food24 has featured a number of recipes that have been inspired by this popular dish and we want to share them with you. It’s always nice to change things up now and then so if you’re looking for a new way to serve your favourite PC tart – have a look at the variations below. You won’t be sorry!
1. Peppermint Crisp tart – the retro icon that nobody can resist.
2. Chocolate Peppermint Crisp fridge cake – devious and delicious all at the same time.
3. Peppermint Crisp hot chocolate – you’ll never have a normal hot chocolate again!
4. Caramel Peppermint Crisp cake – this is a ballsy one. Go big or go home.
5. Peppermint Crisp ice cream pudding cake – want to be the most popular person at a gathering in Summer? Make this!
6. Peppermint Crisp Swiss roll – you guessed it. All the makings of a Peppermint Crisp tart – just in Swiss roll form.
7. Peppermint Crisp tart parfait – and another “deconstruction” of what is now a true classic in our books.
8. Peppermint Crisp squares – these couldn’t be easier to make!
9. Peppermint Crisp waffles – I mean, seriously… this is just food porn!
South Africans are known their unique culinary tastes – which makes perfect sense given that the country itself is a mixed pot of various cultures and ethnicities. Each one of SA’s unique cultures have their own signature dishes, from Walkie Talkies to delicious bobotie – here are a few yummy and er, weird South African dishes.