Even though Mother’s Day in South Africa is in the height of Autumn, there’s something about the day that’s reminiscent of flowers, birds chirping in the trees, happiness and sunshine.
We recently published an article informing you of which restaurants and hotels are offering Mother’s Day lunches and high teas, but if you can’t afford it or you’re looking to do something more personalised why not do it yourself? Mother’s Day offers the perfect excuse to get out your best English rose teacups, put those vintage teaspoons on display and throw a tea party.
ALSO READ: Mother’s Day: 15 Fabulous recipe ideas for a celebratory brunch
Even though traditionally, a high tea is a formal affair, you can easily plan and set one up in the comfort of your home. If you have little kids, organising a tea party offers a lovely way for you to bond with them. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a way to show your appreciation to your Mom, tea parties are a gorgeous way to spend an afternoon.
Your list of essentials include –
teaspoons and mini forks
sweet and savoury treats
any decorations you’d like to add
Here are a few tips
1. Use a tiered cake stand to instantly add some some elegance to the table.
2. Obviously only use your finest China!
3. If the afternoon sun decides to grace you with its presence, move the party outside.
4. Get creative with a centrepiece and make do with what you have.
5. Add a personal touch by making some custom decorated cookies.
6. For a quirky detail, transform one of the corners of the room into a tea station with an assortment of teas to pick and choose from.
7. Less is always more – go for a minimalist tablescape like this.
Here are a few sweet treat ideas –
Traditional English scones
Melting moments with cinnamon buttercream filling
Marshmallows with salted lime sugar
Orange and apricot jam squares
Chocolate fudge nut pieces
Old-fashioned custard cookies
Vintage vanilla cupcakes with lemon curd buttercream
Gluten-free black bean brownie S’mores
Indulgent peanut butter, caramel and chocolate tart
Gin and lemon doughnut macaroon with a citrus and mint mousse
Gluten-free coconut, berry and chia seed muffins
Chocolate orange sugar heart
ALSO READ: How to make the perfect spongy and moist cupcakes for Mother’s Day
Leave a Reply