7 on-trend Summer salad ideas
Summer is salad time and if you’re tired of serving your normal go-to salad, there are simple ways to inject new sex appeal into your leaf-mixes. Here are some top tips on how to bring your salads up-to-date with some simple on-trend additions and combinations.
1. Give your dinner table or poolside chisa nyama some texture and don’t be afraid to mix and match non-traditional flavours. Incorporate superfood ingredients like grains, berries, salmon and seeds. They add nutritional value, interest, texture and colour.
2. Instead of complicated dressings use a variety of different natural oils to dress your salad. For example, when making an Asian-inspired salad, dress it with sesame oil.
3. Don’t be afraid to use salad as a main course. Imagine a juicy pink cut of seared salmon on a bed of rocket.
4. Rub your salad bowl with a clove of garlic before you put your salad in it. It adds subtle flavour.
5. Fruits work very well in salads to add acidity and sweetness. Work with what is seasonable – not only is that the kindest consumer choice, but it means you’ll be getting the fruit at its best.
6. When you’re going for vegetables in salads, don’t over-cook them and opt for those you can eat raw. Think mange tout, broccoli and cauliflower, which all work well in salads.
7. Be clever with your dressings to cut down on oiliness and fat. For instance, instead of mayonnaise try Bulgarian yoghurt.