Image source: Mikael Stenberg/ Getty Images
TRY THIS RECIPE: Cinnamon chocolate hazelnut spiral buns
On the 5th of February every year, chocolate fans around the globe celebrate World Nutella Day. Here are 7 fun facts to amaze your friends:
1. Nutella is from the same company that brings us Ferrero Rocher, Kinder eggs and Tic Tac!
RECIPE: Baked Nutella chocolate torte
2. Nutella was originally a budget replacement for chocolate
When Italy experienced a severe economic recession after World War II, hazelnuts were used to stretch out expensive cocoa powder. The hazelnut and cocoa mixture was known as “gianduja”.
RECIPE: No-bake Nutella squares
3. The Ferrero company is a family owned business, now in its 3rd generation.
The current leader of the company is Giovanni Ferrero.
RECIPE: Nutella mug cake for one
4. The Ferrero family has a combined estimated wealth of €25 billion, and are ranked as the richest family in the Italy.
5. Most of the hazelnuts used by the Ferrero company are grown in Turkey.
BAKE THIS RECIPE: Chocolate and hazelnut caramel bars
6. Ferrero uses 25 percent of the global supply of hazelnuts.
7. The Ferrero company has a large agricultural operation in South Africa, growing hazelnuts.
The farms were planted in 2014, with the first viable harvests expected in 2019-2020.
MAKE THIS TONIGHT: Nutella hot chocolate truffles