6 recipes to take you to deep-fried Heaven
We all know in the bottom of our hearts that deep fried food isn’t very healthy but we often tend to turn a blind eye because deep-fried anything tastes sooooooooooo good!
What is it that makes us so drawn to something that’s been cooked in deathly hot oil? Well, to cut a long story short – it’s got to do with the way that the fat (oil) interacts with the surface of the food being cooked.
Apart from the resulting deliciously crispy crunchy texture, the sugars and proteins in the food undergo a chemical reaction – caramelisation (sugars) and the Maillard Reaction (proteins). This enables them to turn that appetising golden brown colour – or when you’re cooking a steak, you’ll get the tasty crispness on the edges.
Without making you wait any longer, have a look at these deep-fried bites that you simply cannot ignore.
2. Blooming onion – Similar to onion rings but oh-so-much better and you’ll never guess how easy it is to make.
3. Deep-fried tequila shots – Yes, these are real.
4. Rooibos koeksisters – Proudly South African.
5. Porcini mushroom croquettes– Make a double batch of these because a single just won’t cut it.
6. Deep-fried ice cream balls – These are so fun to make and taste insane.