Meatballs are all about the juiciness. I’ve got some fantastic meatball recipes for you to try on your own family and friends but first, let’s get the basics right.. here are a few fool-proof tips to ensure you get marvelous meatballs!
1. The secret to meatballs is the fat content in the meat. You need a good percentage of fat to have a juicy meatball so steer clear of meat that’s labelled ‘lean’.
2. Use good quality meat – this should be obvious but it’s always good to be reminded!
3. Cook a tiny bit of your meatball in the pan before you cook the whole batch. Check your seasoning (add more salt, spices etc if needed) and then roll them all. This really makes the world of difference.
4. Use spices and fresh herbs to add flavour to your balls. Fresh herbs are wonderful and you could even add some cheesy bits like feta for extra indulgence.
4. Don’t overcook them – dry meatballs are simply the worst.
5. They perform best in a lovely rich tomato sauce.
The very best meatballs – This is a recipe that I’ve perfected over the years. The secret weapon I have is using a little bone marrow – I call it ‘meat butter’ – it really adds a lovely moisture to the balls and a depth of flavour that just says, ‘Eat me’.
Tip: You can get bone marrow from any butcher or just ask at the counter at your local supermarket butcher. It is very cheap – ask for the biggest bones they have.
Meatballs and mashed potatoes – Served with a red wine and onion gravy – delicious!
Tomato and lentil soup with spicy meatballs – This is a great recipe with warm smoky spices and lentils.
Italian meatball sub – A fabulous recipe that includes melted mozzarella and tomato sauce. Hmmm.
Chicken and spinach meatballs – These are a low-fat version using chicken and mushrooms.