I love a muffin that is loaded with exciting ingredients. I often bake a batch or two on a Sunday evening for the week ahead – they’re great for the lunchbox!
Top tips when making muffins:
1. Don’t over mix the muffin batter. This makes the gluten in the flour tough and elastic, resulting in a tougher and stale feel to the muffin.
2. The addition of some sort of oil/melted butter is important. This keeps the crumb tender and prolongs shelf life.
3. When adding other dry ingredients like raisins, choc chips, grated cheese etc – mix with the dry ingredients until coated in flour before adding the liquid. This allows even dispersal of the ingredients when baking.
4. Add damp/wet ingredients (mashed banana, grated fruit or vegetables) all in one go with the liquid ingredients (oil, egg and milk/yoghurt), this will prevent lumps and over mixing.
5. Store in an airtight container – muffins generally have a good shelf life and can last for up to 4 days due to their oil and sugar content.
6. They freeze well too! Freeze muffins individually and take out when needed. Happiness.
My 4 favourite muffin recipes
It’s an absolute must to serve these warm – the cheese gets all gooey and stringy.
So moist and delicious. Carrot, banana, apple, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries. Need I say more? Flavour and texture heaven. A great way of using over-ripe bananas or the odd carrot and apple.
Also known as ‘veggie pop-overs’. I adapted this recipe from my friend and former colleague, Kelly. This is a wonderful way of getting more veg into the diet. Baby marrow, carrot, red pepper, onion and butternut with mature Cheddar cheese for good measure…yum!
I can’t resist a blueberry muffin. I love how the blueberries burst and marble the muffins with deep purple. I add lots of lemon zest to my mixture, I think it takes blueberry muffins to a whole new level. To make them even more special, I top them with a thin cream cheese icing.
Not keen on making your own muffins? Why not go out for breakfast to your local Mugg & Bean!
4 Ways to fire up your humdrum fishcakes
Our handy tips to make your fishcakes even more fantastic. Toss out those old fish cake recipes for tasty patties that are way more fabulous. We encourage you to try a few of these suggestions or play around with your own classics. 1.
Leave a Reply