I love a muffin that is loaded with exciting ingredients. I often bake a batch or two on a Sunday evening for the week ahead – they’re great for the lunchbox!
Top tips when making muffins:
1. Don’t over mix the muffin batter. This makes the gluten in the flour tough and elastic, resulting in a tougher and stale feel to the muffin.
2. The addition of some sort of oil/melted butter is important. This keeps the crumb tender and prolongs shelf life.
3. When adding other dry ingredients like raisins, choc chips, grated cheese etc – mix with the dry ingredients until coated in flour before adding the liquid. This allows even dispersal of the ingredients when baking.
4. Add damp/wet ingredients (mashed banana, grated fruit or vegetables) all in one go with the liquid ingredients (oil, egg and milk/yoghurt), this will prevent lumps and over mixing.
5. Store in an airtight container – muffins generally have a good shelf life and can last for up to 4 days due to their oil and sugar content.
6. They freeze well too! Freeze muffins individually and take out when needed. Happiness.
My 4 favourite muffin recipes
It’s an absolute must to serve these warm – the cheese gets all gooey and stringy.
So moist and delicious. Carrot, banana, apple, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries. Need I say more? Flavour and texture heaven. A great way of using over-ripe bananas or the odd carrot and apple.
Also known as ‘veggie pop-overs’. I adapted this recipe from my friend and former colleague, Kelly. This is a wonderful way of getting more veg into the diet. Baby marrow, carrot, red pepper, onion and butternut with mature Cheddar cheese for good measure…yum!
I can’t resist a blueberry muffin. I love how the blueberries burst and marble the muffins with deep purple. I add lots of lemon zest to my mixture, I think it takes blueberry muffins to a whole new level. To make them even more special, I top them with a thin cream cheese icing.
Not keen on making your own muffins? Why not go out for breakfast to your local Mugg & Bean!
Our handy tips to make your fishcakes even more fantastic. Toss out those old fish cake recipes for tasty patties that are way more fabulous. We encourage you to try a few of these suggestions or play around with your own classics. 1.