This easy batter forms the basis of our three syrupy treats.
• 175ml buttermilk
• 30ml oil
• 2 extra-large eggs, separated
• 100g (180ml) self-raising flour
• 30ml Huletts Castor Sugar
• pinch of salt
Whisk together the buttermilk, oil and egg yolks. Sift the flour. Whisk the egg whites and sugar together until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Fold the flour and egg white mixture into the batter and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Flapjacks with maple bacon
• 8 rashers streaky bacon
• 30ml Huletts Maple Flavoured Syrup, plus extra for serving
• 15ml olive oil
• 1 quantity basic batter
• oven-roasted cherry tomatoes
• fresh basil or oregano
1. Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan until almost crispy without adding any extra oil. Drizzle the syrup over and fry until caramelised – be careful not to burn it. Set aside.
2. Add a little olive oil to the pan and add three large spoonfuls of batter, top each with a piece of caramelised bacon. Fry gently until the surface bubbles, turn over and fry the other side until done. Repeat with the rest of the batter and bacon. Serve bacon-side up with extra Maple Flavoured Syrup, oven roasted tomatoes and fresh herbs.
• 1 quantity basic batter • 125ml mixed dried fruit, nuts and coconut shavings • 1 small banana, peeled and sliced
• 125ml medium-fat cream cheese
• 100ml Huletts Icing Sugar, sifted
• 5ml freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 8 cavities of a muffin pan and divide the batter between the cavities. Sprinkle the dried fruit, nuts, coconut and banana on top of the muffin batter and bake for about 20 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and a cake-tester comes out clean.
2. Beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until just combined. Serve the muffins with frosting or Huletts Chocolate Flavoured Syrup, some fresh berries and a generous dusting of icing sugar.
Choc chip waffles
• 1 quantity basic batter
• 250ml chocolate chips
• Huletts Maple Flavoured Syrup or Chocolate Flavoured Syrup
• fresh mint and coconut shavings
Preheat an electric waffle maker and spray with non-stick spray. Spoon a ladle of batter onto the waffle maker and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Close and cook until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve the stack of waffles with a generous lashing of Maple Flavoured Syrup or Chocolate Flavoured Syrup, a sprinkling of any leftover chocolate chips and the mint and coconut shavings while still nice and warm.
Yum! Add a scoop of ice cream to this syrupy treat and you have dessert.